Thursday, 12 December 2013

Just a few plumbing tips

Just though I would write up some plumbing tips for you all,

- A basin is the one in the bathroom, the sink is the one in the kitchen, there is no such thing as a bathroom sink.

- If your tap is dripping you DON'T have to replace your tap, it just means you need a new tap works or monobloc cartridge

- If water is pouring in to your toilet pan that means that your flush valve washer is not sealing correctly, you may need a new one or you may just need to see if something is stopping it

- If your toilet cistern is constantly filling, then your filling valve will most likely need a new washer inside, just remember to turn off your water first. If it doesn't work then you'll need a new fill valve

- Only do it yourself if you know what you are doing, we all know plumbers can be expensive to call out, but I beg you if you are not 100% sure on what you are doing, find someone who does or you could end up needing a plumber anyway.

- The only thing you get for less is less, don't settle for the cheapest, they can cost you money more money when they inevitably break. Spend that little extra and save having to replace items every couple of months. We know it doesn't come cheap but they do last longer.

- Mira showers don't need a special "Mira hose" any standard shower hose will do exactly the same, they both have the same 1/2 inch thread

- If you have a gravity fed system and you need flexible hoses for your bath taps make sure that you get full bore hoses.

- Try to avoid screwing flexible hoses on to isolating valves, the valves thread are not designed to do that. They will grind the washer and over time will start to leak. Flexible hoses are available with integrated isolation valves

- When getting new flexible hoses for your monobloc tap make sure that you get the correct thread size, it is usually either 10mm or 12mm.

Well thats it from me, I hope you found these tips useful. Until next time, farewell and live long and prosper!

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Toilet Cistern Fill valves - How do they work?

What is a fill valve? Well its that all important device that fills your toilet cistern back up after flushing the loo. Providing water 

Firstly there are two different types. The old style are the ones are usually brass with an arm and plastic float. The modern fill valves have a float that slides up and down its body (which can be adjusted in height depending on the volume of water) and are much more being accurate. 

Next, how do they work? When you flush the toilet the cistern empties, the float on the fill valve will drop and allows the arm to release the washer within the valve to let the water in to fill up the cistern to its previous level. 

As the cistern fills up the float will be pushed up by the water and will shut off the water coming in by pressing the rubber diaphragm washer, then hey presto the cistern is full and your toilet is ready for flushing again! 

But like everything over time these washers gradually start to fail and need replacing and as always there are different types for different valves 

You can find diaphragm washers here. Or if you fancy a new start our range of fill valves can be found here

FluidMaster Pro45b Bottom Entry Fill Valve                                       1/2" Brass Ball valve H/Pressure Pt 2 - 07000190
Modern Fill Valve                                      Old style Fill Valve